Monday, September 24, 2007

Away From Home

Dr. H, my professor, shared his story as a student being away from home. In this University, everyone seems to think that being homesick is not too great deal of a problem. Of course they don't! Almost all, if not all, can get home whenever they want. The elite or "rich kids" in this University are visited by their parents over the weekend by flying in a chopper. Yes, a chopper! The not so elite go home once or twice in a month by flying back home. My classmate does that. And almost everybody gets to see their parents during the family weekend visits or at midsemestral breaks. But not for me. I only get to see my family at the end of the semester. I am still lucky, says my professor. He got to see his family after the schoolyear. His other classmate got to see his family only after they graduated. Being away from home may be taken for granted by others because they don't think getting homesick affects your student life. But it does. Sometimes it just makes you want to quit school and go home. But being away from home is a reality, as Dr. H says, you either deal with it or it will deal with you.

No comments: