Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Papers

I got my first paper back. My grade wasn't what I expected. It was not an A but I wasn't even expecting an A. I think my preceptor is too harsh or too strict. I hope so. I hope it has nothing to do with me being an Asian. My other Asian friend got a grade below B. So you can't blame me if I think discrimination may play a part. I just had this bad experience last semester, so don't blame me. So, I hope not since we are also in seminary. We are supposed to be a loving and all-inclusive community. I asked my other group mate who was white and I would say one of the brightest in the class. He also did not get an A. So I just hope that this is a case of the "first paper scare," where preceptors would give low grades to encourage students to write better and aim for excellence in their writing. However, there is that sense that the preceptor may be power playing us. You always get the feeling that this doctoral students want to assert their superiority over us masteral students. But since my preceptor is a graduating doctoral student and is not even in divinity school, I can always give my preceptor the benefit of a doubt. Besides, my preceptor is one of the most promising student in my "preceptors" field of interest. Although my preceptor's critic in my paper was excellent, I could always argue that I could have received a higher grade. Ha! Who says seminary is not stressful?

No comments: