Saturday, September 26, 2009

Graduating from Seminary

Last May 9, 2009 was my graduation from Seminary.

Of course the Divinity School had their own graduation ceremony. The next day was the University Graduation with Oprah as the speaker. i am tempted to talk about many stuff here. But I would like to note a few of the most important memories that I cherish.

My father came for my graduation. It was his first time at Duke. I wish my mom was also able to come but she was sick thus she could not travel.

I had gained so many friends during my stint here at Duke. These friends knew that I was going back home and maybe this was our last day to see each other physically. So I was thrilled when they wanted to capture our friendship with photo-ops after the grad ceremony.

My family here in the US also came in full force. My Uncles and Aunties and cousins and distant relatives came all the way from Virginia just to join me in my celebration. I was so touched by their show of support.

I just had some regrets for not being able to have taken good pictures with my dad, my friends, my family and even with myself. I just forgot all about that with my emotions so high during that day.

But the most thing that I remember that day was the anxiety of moving forward in the ministry. I was supposed to have learned all the necessary tools that I need theologically and mentally. I am a graduate of the seminary and I am supposed to have completed the requirements for the ministry. Tools that I will need. But did I have all the necessary things that I need to survive and be efficient in the ministry? Graduating from seminary is not a guarantee of anything. But I know that God is and will be with me. That is the best tool that I know in my heart will get me ready. This is the speech that Oprah did not give to us during graduation. But I learned this from seminary and more.

So, thank you all. I pray that many will help me as I continue my journey as a clergy-to-be.

No comments: